Sunday, January 2, 2011

Reverb10 - Action

December 13 – Action When it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step? (Author: Scott Belsky)

I wholeheartedly plan to make 2011 a year of action. Triumph over adversity, tackle change, blah, blah, blah. It's easy to talk action but implementing it is a whole different monster.

My biggest goal is to finally launch a website -- personal or for my employer -- whose backbone is Drupal. I've been working internally on two different implementations since August and while the results are far from polished, the sites are functional. But being that I'm aware of how harsh the online world can be when presented with something that isn't completely polished and how fickle people can be when they encounter even one minor annoyance, nothing is going live quite yet.

If you've followed things here for long, you know that I'm a graphic designer and you're probably wondering why I'm working on developing a website or two. Well, I'm doing it because I kinda like having a job and I like having far more skills than needed for my job. I don't see my work in the print advertising world vanishing anytime soon but it has diminished in the past few years. Thankfully, I've been able to step up my game and kick out the jams online with some pretty cool stuff that pushed the envelope of what my superiors expected. I also stepped up in 2010 as a teacher of sorts for my co-workers. It felt good to show them the skills they need to hang with me and continue to be employed. Whether or not they choose to build on those skills remains to be seen. I feel that with at least a couple of them I was straight up wasting my time. I hate feeling like that but some people, regardless of what they say, have no desire to learn.

So in 2011 I wholeheartedly plan to get back to showing these folks more of what they need to remain employed. I like passing on that knowledge and I'll definitely be taking action on that particular love of mine in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...