Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Get this, I had a bad frozen pizza

Not to hone in on local pizza experts (@s4xton) but I have to tell the story of last night's frozen pizza misfortune. I'll preface this by saying that I'm both cheap and tethered to a young child so eating in is the typical thing for us. I had to pick up a few groceries on my way home last evening and had been curious about DiGiorno's Pizza/Breadsticks option which they recently unveiled to grocer's freezers nationwide.

After eating it, though, I wish they'd cart them back to the pizza plant hell from which they came. First off, the price is a bit steep considering that you're getting a rather dense pizza and an additional 3/8 of a pizza crust topped with mozzarella cheeese. Oh, who can forget about the miniscule bag of "marinara" sauce? That's a kick-ass bonus if ever there was one.

The pizza was disappointing and that was shocking. While a frozen pizza is what it is, DiGiorno (and its slightly superior competitor Freschetta) are the upper crust of the mass-produced frozen pizza market. The crust is fluzzy and light on the inside with a slightly crisp exterior. The pizza/breadstick combination, though, featured a dense, lifeless crust. It was heavy and thinner than usual and reminded me of a shitty take and bake mess from the Walmart "deli".

DiGiorno's breadsticks weren't half bad but they came out almost crispy on the edges. I guess that this is rather unavoidable when trying to do two things at once -- usually both end up being sub-par to a certain extent. While I will usually eat half of a frozen DiGiorno (or Freschetta) pizza, I had 1.5 slices of this trainwreck. Maybe I'll get rip-roaring drunk on cheap beer Friday and finish the rest of this crap but there's a good chance that this will make its way to the garbage.

Better than garbage, though, is MinnPics. It's the best of the best of Minnesota photos and you need to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...