Sunday, May 3, 2009

I have a new love

I'm sure that, by now, you've all seen at least head that Pepsi and Mountain Dew have released throwback versions of their sodas. What that boils down to is a retro logo and original ingredients - mainly - gasp - real sugar.

And to the spoilsports out there who dig in their heels and staunchly proclaim that "a sweetener is a sweetener - high fructose corn syrup is just the same as sugar" I'd like to knock their teeth out with a baseball bat. I am not a fan of Pepsi products but will take Mountain Dew if I'm in a restaurant where real soda (Coke) isn't available. Due to a coupon at Cub Foods last week, I tried a 20 oz. bottle of the Mountain Dew throwback and it's good. If ever a sugar-filled drink could be called crisp and clean, this is the one.

Corn Syrup is what it is. It makes everything taste ultra-sweet and sludgy. It' obvious devoid of any texture because it's nothing more than a gelatinous blob and you can tell when you're poisoning yourself by drinking it that it's a syrup. I don't chug pancake syrup (which also contains that crap) so why would I want to do the same with soda filled with corn syrup?

It proves that large, multi-national food companies can still turn a profit using natural sugar so why not make the Pepsi and Mountain Dew throwbacks the new classics? Coke learned their lesson with their new formula about 25 years ago so be the leader Pepsi. Lead us to a new generation of sugar-sweetened soda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...