Monday, December 29, 2008

When stores go out of business, I win

When I'm doing my Christmas shopping, I tend to lean towards bargains. When there's a sale on something that's on the list for whomever I'm buying for, I grab it because they'll think I paid double what it really cost.

This year, though, I've been hitting the going out of business sales. The first stop was Linens-N-Things. I've always liked their Burnsville, MN store and it's weird for a guy to say it but I like my house to be comfortable and that was just the place. I bought myself a clothes drying rack and the mother-in-law some ultra-plush bathroom towels which I considered buying double because they were so cheap and so damn soft. I just know I'd love drying my butt with something that soft.

The biggest score, though, was late Saturday afternoon at Burnsville Center. As my old lady bought frilly under things, I pushed MonsterStroller looking for a place to plant my ass. I inched closer to Steve & Barry's and noticed huge "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS" signs. Having only shopped there once or twice, I figured I'd check the dump out for the final time. Five t-shirts for $10 was tempting but if I want to state a message, I'll just say it. Then I hit gold. 70% off baby clothes. Even in the relatively small area they were relegated to the selection wasn't half bad - especially when you factor in their bargain basement original prices.

I grabbed a random but carefully-chosen stack of clothes there just as my old lady called wondering where I had vanished to. She strolled into the store, looked around, bought more baby clothes and we headed to the crazy-long, snaking line at the checkout.

Then I mentioned how they were even selling the hangers. Entire boxes for $20. Wood hangers. She asked "Where?" and I pointed.

All said and done we left with four bags full of stuff and paid $21. Something tells me that a cash registed inaccuracy played to our favor and that soon-to-be-unemployed retail jockey guy didn't care too much.

So, next time you mourn the loss of a store, think about people like me who come away as winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...